For an overview of our plan and the development team download our presentation (7.6MB pdf)
Award-Winning Global Architecture Firms
"In 2018, we committed to design a better future for ourselves, our clients, and our communities. Today, we pledge to confront our past and take actions to dismantle systemic racism, injustice, and inequity within SmithGroup, across our professions and in the built environment. We will think critically and act boldy to design a better future that disrupts the systems that have caused great harm to Black, Indigenous and communities of color."
MASS DESIGN GROUP
and Local Architect ATELIER CORY HENRY
Real Estate Representation
GLOBAL POWERHOUSE JLL
Jones Lang LaSalle will provide master developer services as developer for-fee (no equity interest, only client interest):
- Second largest real estate company on the planet with over 93,000 employees
- Master developer, development manager and/or construction manager in multiple major projects throughout the country including: Midtown Union, Hudson Yards, Pullman Yards, Freedom Tower, LA Live
- As a developer-for-fee they work for Downtown Crenshaw Rising to execute the community’s vision, are required to build in the interest of the people, and tasked with making that vision a financeable and buildable project.
Legend in Community-Centered Development PHIL HART, HART REALTY GROUP
- Phil Hart is a national leader in community centered development. Among his projects: West Angeles Cathedral
- Working with MB Development Group's Waleed Elbayar
Capital Raise Team
JLL Capital Markets: #1 Real Estate Capital Raise Firm in United States
- Our project has been taken on by the Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) Capital Markets program
- Plus the biggest names & firms in socially responsible investing & Ed Whitfield of Seed Commons
- Lamar Lyons of Burch Capital Partners
- Lynn King-Tolliver of ARCHERE Investment Management
GLOBAL POWERHOUSE REED SMITH
Reed Smith will provide legal services, especially in structuring the financial terms
- The Director of their Socially Responsible Investment practice is on the project
- Working with 40 Acres and a Mall Legal Team (Co-operative and community investment specialists) Clark Arrington (General Counsel at The Working World), Brett Heegar & Sarah Kaplan
Downtown Crenshaw Environmental Master Plan Elements
SmithGroup (and JLL) are global leaders in sustainable design, and are helping us develop an environmental sustainability master plan for Downtown Crenshaw. We aim to adapt spaces for "People First," meaning we prioritize public health outcomes, while balancing space for cars with places for human connection and contact.
The four pillars of our plan are:
- Food sustainability
- Water re-use and resilience
- Community net energy
- Sustainable design
This includes (but isn't limited to): A community solar project; a shared district energy system & Crenshaw Energy Co-op; food sustainability via both year-round hydroponic systems and community garden plots; biolphilic design and minimal carbon footprint.